Your browser version is outdated. We recommend that you update your browser to the latest version.

 CONSTRUCTION & TRACK

  I wanted to build a light but sturdy baseboard that had folding legs that would lock and not collapse.  I also wanted to try using 5mm MDF sheet  top covered with 5mm cork tile.  The surrounding frame was of dressed 4 x 1 inch pine timber and the lengthwise and cross support was dressed 2 x 1 inch pine timber. I also had 5mm MDF attached to the inside end of each board (1m x 820mm) to protect scenery and make the join as seamlessly as possible. 

        Once the baseboard was complete I first laid the cork tiles then the track and pinned it down, wired the feeds and then tested it.  The layout was originally to be a DC operation so I added an extra support leg at the join with a platform to hold the Gaugemaster D twin then the quad controller.

         Below is a series of photos  showing the progress of the layout from the collection of components to the running of the layout. At this stage I hope that they are self-explanatory. Just a note that when gluing the back boards to the upper level, where there was a bend or curve, I cut a series of grooves so that the MDF did not split or crack. The MDF was cramped for at least 12 hours for the PVA glue to set. When the overall concept of the layout was finalised another track was added to the fiddle yard to facilitate the extra sequences. The photos  of the added extra track are included at the end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The collection of items for building Little  Stoke which I gathered in readiness for the project.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

On the left, a dry run of the frame work and then the two completed, glued and nailed ready to have the legs put on

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Attaching the legs and adding the block and the second photo showing the center dividing board to protect scenery.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 The underside of the layout after the 5mm ply had been attached and the layout on its feet.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Cork tiles being laid and track plan evolving.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The branch line taking shape.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The back boards ready to go behind the branch line and the second photo is gluing and clamping the back board.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Rounding the curves of the branch line on both boards.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The branch line terminus with back board up and second photo of fiddleyard showing the entrance/exit to scenic side of layout and common to both ends.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Before and after photos of adding an extra siding to accommodate the new change in programming. 

There was enough room to lay the extra loop on the outside edge of the baseboard and then adding a length of 25mm square timber with 40mm x 6mm MDF attached to be a safety barrier, which is  screwed on once the baseboards are set up as in the bottom photo. The original outer track now becomes the inner outer loop. I changed the points around so that the left hand board had two left medium radius and the right hand one had two medium radius right points.  The innermost loop had set track points which did cause some operational difficulties and was rectified by changing to small radius ones.